Thursday, June 11, 2009

Thursdays on First

It's back! Thursdays on First is back in downtown Rochester. This event is put on by the Downtown Alliance, a collection of downtown business. Before I took my current job, I'd live in this town for the entire 5 years it's been in existence, but hadn't really heard of it and gone


My co-worker and good friend MumblingSages got out from behind our desks to head down and check it out today.

We were pleased to find Newt's had a really nice spread. There is a reason that this place has been voted the best burgers for the last bazillion years. Nummy! They were cooking their burgers out side on the sidewalk, making the smells almost intoxicating. They've also chosen the, as MumblingSages put it, "Hooters marketing" approach. The girls working the booth were, um, not displeasing to the eye. (When I got married, no one put my eyes out...OK?)

The crowds at lunch we looking great too. You have to remember that this place is located at the heart of one of the largest medical services providers in the world. I know, small town, ginormous hospital, it doesn't make sense, but it's true that one of the worlds largest and well respected hospital/clinic organization is located in the middle of the corn fields. We prefer to call it home.

The picture to the right is looking back at the clinic. Of course, I don't work in any of these buildings. We work about a mile away in a little building hidden in the back of campus so no one sees us. Geek pride!

So, what is my favorite item at this collection of artist, crafts, restaurants and other items at an open air market. Well of course it's the world's greatest homemade marshmallows!

Eloise is a friend of mine from playing cards. Somewhere, she got this crazy idea to make homemade marshmallows. And by homemade I mead from scratch. "You can do that?" I've heard people ask. "Yes, yes you can." And guess what, once you've had one...you will NEVER enjoy the bagged kind ever again. Sure, they are OK, but nothing and I mean NOTHING like this.

My favorite is the S'more, it's a homemade marshmallow dipped in chocolate and then rolled in crushed graham crackers, but coming close is the peppermint flavored dipped in chocolate. Dear God, you've died and gone to heaven. She's also got raspberry, and coconut and to die for rice crispy bars.

If you are on a diet or strict vegan, the smells in this area of town will kill you. Or in the case of the vegans...you might just want to switch teams. I have no words to describe how good the downtown smells today....you'll have to check it out for yourself.

Did I make you hungry? Sorry :-D

4 comments:

SurprisedMom said...

Hungry? I'm ravenous and I gotta have a homemade marshmallow or 100 right now! After I comment I'm going to the kitchen in search of something sweet.
BTW, just because you're married, doesn't mean you can't look; just very discreetly.
I never thought of Rochester and its very famous hospital as in the middle of a corn field. I've never been there. Is it really, or are you just pulling this city girl's leg?

WeaselMomma said...

That does look like a fun time!

seashore subjects said...

What a great way to spend your lunch! All the extras that make summers in the north special are what I miss this time of year.

Kim said...

Those marshmellows look AMAZING!!!!!!! It looks like you had a great time!!!