Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Thoughts from the back of the bus

I like sitting in the back of the bus. I think I know why too. From here, I get to watch people.


My post about insurance took some interesting turns. A friend mine shared it on her facebook account. Of course she's got nearly 30 comments already. Sigh.

The debate over health care reform rages on and I can't help but notice that suffers from the same problems that we always suffer from. I'm strctly talking about the debate itself here (and I'm writing this on the bus using my phone, thank you) is that people like use the same argument regardless of what the original point was.

The purpose of my post was to explain how insurance works. Not how greedy private insurance is or isn't. I don't really care. I'm a pragmatist and like to look at all options and out comes.

Besides that fact that I really do believe that government is just as greedy as the private sector (self-propetuating beauracracies tend to do that), that really wasn't my point. My point was that no matter who provides the insurance, it's a gamble that both sides want badly to win.

The public option is not going to want go broke.

It's with this in mind, I had an idea. I've been thinking about writing a series of posts about life lessons I've learned playing poker. Tying this is with a plain talk discussion about logic fallacies. If you don't know what those are, don't worry. It's basically how our political discussions work :-)

The bus is almost at the hospital so I should be signing off. Hey, at least I might actually post something more often. It could happen.

-- Posted from my cell phone that starts with the i. Sorry about the typos. This screen is small and I don't have much of a spell check.

2 comments:

Kat said...

I have always thought of insurance as "in case shit" as in "in case shit happens"

seashore subjects said...

Looking forward to your poker analogies - maybe you can teach us to win? ;)